| || |
- Let's start with our favorite statistic! There are 2.6 million breast cancer survivors.
- FIGHT: Breast cancer is the 2nd leading cause of cancer deaths among women, after lung cancer, and is the leading cause of cancer deaths among women ages 35-54.
- PRAY: Research reveals the mortality rate could decrease 30% if all women ages 50 and over had annual mammograms.
- FIGHT: Risk factors include: Personal history of breast or ovarian cancer, Family history of breast cancer, Gaining weight in adulthood & Being overweight after menopause.
- FIGHT: Breast cancer patients in the lower income bracket have a 9% lower 5-year survival rate than women of higher income.
- LIVE: To ensure staying healthy: "everything in moderation, get a mammo every year, check your breasts once a month, have a breast exam once a year by your doctor, and laugh as much as possible". — Beth Brady, M.D.
- PRAY: 5-10% of breast cancers that occur in women are hereditary. The majority are "sporadic" — meaning there is no direct family history.
- PRAY: Most cancers grow slowly, taking 8-10 years to become large enough to be seen on the mammogram or felt in a breast self-exam.
- PRAY: Breast cancer is the most common cancer among women other than skin cancer.
- FIGHT: This is why early detection is so important, to notice changes.
- Every 3 minutes a woman is diagnosed with breast cancer.
- A woman dies of breast cancer every 13 minutes.
- 1 in 8 women will be diagnosed in their lifetime.
- Connecticut has the highest rate of breast cancer in the U.S.
- Caucasians are more likely to develop the disease; however African Americans are more likely to die from it.
About 1 out of every 100 people (men and women) have
more than two nipples. They are called "accessory
“If you can imagine it, you can achieve it; if you can dream it, you can become it” ~ William Arthur Ward
“Only he who can see the invisible can do the impossible.” ~ Frank L. Gaines
“Wherever we look upon this earth, the opportunities take shape within the problems.” ~ Nelson A. Rockefeller
“Energy and persistence conquer all things.” ~ Benjamin Franklin
“You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment.” ~ Henry David Thoreau
“The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious.” ~ Albert Einstein
“There is only one way to happiness, and that is to cease worrying about things which are beyond the power of our will.” ~ Epictetus
“The best way to escape from your problem is to solve it.” ~ Robert Anthony
“Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough.” ~ Og Mandino
“Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.” ~ Confucius
“Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom.” ~ Aristotle
“In the depths of winter, I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer.” ~ Albert Camus